• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Thursday, October 12, 2006

    Think You Can Hang?



    A good buddy of mine (like many guys I work with) is a fitness guru. He's one of those fellas who works out in all of his free time, and loves it like an eight-year-old loves ice cream on a warm summer day. I'm more of a adventure seeker in my free time who likes to stay fit, does that make sense?

    He's just started his own blog called Crossfit: SWCS where he keeps track of his workouts, along with anyone who wishes to enter the torture chamber with him that day. Yes, you will see my results on there as well. I recently took Drew on one of my adventures on the Gauley River in WV for some whitewater rafting, and now he has recently convinced me to do Crossfit. Is that a fair trade? I don't know, but I nearly killed him on the water, and I gotta tell ya he nearly killed me on day one in the gym. I've never done Crossfit exclusively for my daily routines. I've always used it as a "shock day" to get my routine out of stagnation. It's a hell of a routine, not for the faint-hearted so if you think you can hang- give it a shot.

    So, go give Drew a visit and tell him how nice his pectorals are. He really likes that.

    15 Comments:

    At 10/13/2006 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Woohoo...sounds like lots of fun Jake....Ah...think I'll pass..LMAO

    So telling Dave his pecs are nice...is that the equalvent of telling a woman (ah never mind)...I'll go back into hiding for awhile.

    btw - glad you like it!

    Bodacious Flirt

     
    At 10/13/2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm neither fitness guru or gym rat, but since I don't have a physically demanding job, I crave intense, physical exercise at the beginning or end of the day. I've noticed that others in my profession are the same way. Crossfit? Perfect. Except that I think some of the girls are too muscular for my taste, but that's probably personal preference more than anything else.

    Whitewater rafting is definitely a fair trade for Crossfit. Around here, we have to go all the way up to Maine for it, but it's always worth the trip.

     
    At 10/13/2006 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You know, Royal is one of those guys, though not quite to the extent of Drew - thank goodness, because I would never be able to keep up ;o)
    I'll give him a visit, thanks Jake

     
    At 10/13/2006 7:18 PM, Blogger BarnGoddess_01 said...

    Jake-missed you! I rarely have time for a good work out, every second of free time I have I am in the saddle..but every morning at 7:50 am, Wee One and I walk briskly for 2miles a round trip on a road by our new home. He either usually rides in the wah=gon, the faster I walk the louder he cheers me on, its kinda nice!

    I missed ya :)

     
    At 10/13/2006 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow re: the crossfit stuff.(and the rafting photo is great) .. I know the gym can be addictive, used to go 4-5x/week until we moved and I got overwhelmed with all the work on our small horse farm... I still miss the gym!

    these days I'm lucky to get in morning yoga and a bit of pilates before heading to the barn. riding the horses is the least of it!

    daughter is getting ready to join pony club and do tetrathalon, so I have a feeling I'll be along for that training too...

     
    At 10/16/2006 8:51 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    emm- it is indeed a dammed river. they open the dam once a year from september to october if i'm not mistaken. i don't remember what the CSF was for that day, but whatever it was they best way i could describe it is... VIOLENT. trust me if i'm ever out west, rafting will be on my list.

     
    At 10/16/2006 9:03 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    bf- your mind is in the gutter as usual.

    pamela- my friend drew is infatuated with one of those gals. i think the crosffit site uses those gals to shame us men into doing some of the more difficult olympic lifts, like the snatch or clean and jerk. maine? that's in canada- ay?

    kath- i'm sure your royal marine is a PT stud enough for the both of you. besides, i don't think anybody would mess with you once they saw how oft you go to the range.

    bg- the feelings are mutual. taking the wee one on a wagon ride sounds like a pretty decent workout to me.

    billie- you're obviously living vicariously thru your daughter. barns can make for a hell of a crossfit gym. all you would need is some equipment, a cd playing Rocky soundtrack, and maybe a little snow and you'd be good to go.

     
    At 10/16/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger billie said...

    if only I could figure out how to do the barn chores ambidextrous-ly... :) the good thing about gyms is the ability to work both sides of the body equally. right now my right shoulder is having issues - I think it's because I do most of the upper body barn work from the left.

    and to make it worse, my horse is weaker to his left, so my left arm/leg gets worked harder when riding.

    clearly I need to go join the little 24-hour gym nearby and even things up again!

    billie

     
    At 10/19/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Miz BoheMia said...

    You're back and you don't even drop by to say hola? Tsk, tsk!

    Bohemians will still tell you off, nice pectorals or no! Hmph! ;-P

     
    At 10/23/2006 10:22 PM, Blogger N/A said...

    Jake-

    Crossfit is the damn devil!

    Oh and not to light a fire under your arse or anything, but maybe this might give us all the pleasure of reading some more of your bloggings. Have you happened to see that your "dream girl" is under attack in the literary world? Check out the book titled "Brainless." Haha...good luck!

     
    At 10/24/2006 11:20 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    MizB- My sincerest apologies for taking so long to get over there. It won't happen again.

    sully- i'm getting addicted to crossfit, everything else is just boring in comparison. yeah, i saw that book. she even dressed like Ann. i'll be posting again this weekend for sure.

     
    At 10/24/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    emm- i've got it in my rolodex- grazie amica. the brotherhood of M. de Treville makes the Jedi Knights look like a bunch of pansies. I'm hooked.

     
    At 10/28/2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Soxfan said...

    yeah the last comment was me... I just signed in on the wrong SN

     
    At 10/31/2006 6:26 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    emm- Storm troopers? No way. I must have a light saber.

    jon- congrats and stay sharp you've just knocked down your first 50 meter target and now you need to hit your second. crossfit is indeed the "fashizel".

     
    At 10/11/2011 11:37 AM, Anonymous Does P90X Work said...

    Cross Fit training can be utterly gruelling. I guess it must come close to military workouts... actually, wait a minute... they "Are" military workouts. I like any workout where you can really train your abs without having to do situps. They give a lot of folks a bad back - including me.
    Toby | Does P90X Work?

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home