• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Thursday, April 06, 2006

    X-rays and Osgood Schlatter



    So, I recently learned how to take an X-ray. It was a one day class, and pretty cool. After our lecture and demonstration we all paired up with a buddy, as usual, and began taking X-rays of one another. I took the first X-ray of my friend, Drew, who thought it would be really cool to have an X-ray of his skull to hang in his room. So, of course, I obliged and shot an X-ray of his huge noggin, and it is currently on the wall in his room in full view. I think he's planning on shooting his whole body while he in his surgery block. Funny guy. I, on the other hand, decided to take an X-ray of my knee. I have always had a large, funny bump on the anterior proximal portion of my tibia, right below the knee cap. It's been there since I played high school basketball, and it has always given me some minor, dull pain when I do a lot of running, jumping, rucking, or whatever to this day. I never had health insurance growing up, so if I wasn't dying I didn't see the doc much. Lately, while learning about orthopaedics, we came across a common finding for young althletic kids called osgood schlatter's disease. I hate the word disease because it makes it sound so bad, but really it's nothing. Anyway, when my instructor began showing some pics, with the signs and symptoms, and immediately I knew I had it. This leads us back to the recent X-ray. First off, my knee pokes out pretty far, and when Drew saw it he kind of freaked out, but continued with the X-ray to do some further investigating. Of course, once we saw my film there was no doubt. My particular malady actually is a full avulsion from the tibia rather than a partial as seen in this photo. What does this have to do with the price of oil in the Middle East? Not a thing.

    All in all, it's been great learning how to do X-rays, now I just have to learn how to read them which, I'm afraid, is a whole 'nother deal.

    7 Comments:

    At 4/07/2006 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, could you be separated early because of the OSD?

     
    At 4/08/2006 12:16 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    no idea. and no desire to know.

     
    At 4/09/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    Hey Cowgirl- I know what you mean...

    check these posts out

    http://jakecommando.blogspot.com/2005/07/stick-it-to-me.html
    http://jakecommando.blogspot.com/2005/07/traumatic-week.html

     
    At 4/09/2006 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What is the treatment for OSD if it becomes symptomatic?

     
    At 4/09/2006 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh my Jake... pretty funky knee you have there. LOL! My sis is a dental hygentist and she had to learn to take x-rays. She has a lot of funny stories... and yes she says taking them is not as hard as reading them.

    I had knee surgery a few years ago... I had a big knot come up on the side... needless to say it was removed and I have a nasty scar. It still gives me problems every now and then... aches.

    Well enough of my aches and pains...

    BTW... thank you for your sweet comment over at my blog. I truly appreciate it. :)

     
    At 4/10/2006 3:58 PM, Blogger N/A said...

    Jake,

    Thanks for the comment and I definitely will keep the posts coming. As for the sfpc thing...I had the option of skipping it and heading to phase 2 which I should have done, but it has been awhile since I have done patrols, raids, and ambushes. I figured I might as well get the excellent training in for later down the road. It can't hurt right?

    Oh and I used the have osd in my knees when I was younger. It only seemed to bother me whenever I would go through a growth spurt. Interesting stuff. Keep it coming.

    Sully

     
    At 4/10/2006 6:38 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    anonymous- Tx for OSD, is rest, ice, NSAID's. mostly though, just suck it up, like I said it's really nothing.

    shayna- your ached and pains are always welcome here.

    sully- like i said, you'll appreciate the warmup before you hit SUT, phase II can be an ass kicker if you aren't up to speed on your "Ranger" skills. keep it up, let me know if you need anything via email.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home