• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Monday, March 27, 2006

    Death by Powerpoint

    Where have I been? I have been sitting in a classroom for what is known as "Med Blocks" . Basically, we are learning a lot about diseases, and disorders, and how to diagnose and treat, or manage them. We sit in a small classroom all day in front of a projector screen and take notes from a powerpoint presentation for 8 hours a day. It is brutal. I think I am slowly going blind, I no longer respond to caffeine as I drink a pot of Joe a day, and my inner mouth is raw from chewing on sunflower seeds in order to stay awake. We, the students, commonly call our current learning environment, "Death by Powerpoint". Everyone has a different way of coping, I drink coffee and chew sunflower seeds, some drink "redline" or "monster" and most guys dip smokeless tobacco. Yes, in class. There is also a wide variety of snacks and protein-rich foods and supplements scattered about. This all makes for a very smelly learning environment to say the least. Whatever it takes to stay awake, so we can continue to learn as if we were drinking water from a firehose. Three more weeks of this and I'll move to surgery and anesthesia, clinical rotations, and then I will be freaking finito! Should be done in June. So long as I can continue to resist the slow painful death by powerpoint.

    9 Comments:

    At 3/28/2006 2:48 PM, Blogger airforcewife said...

    Just think, though, when you make it through you will qualify for the coveted "PowerPoint Ranger" patch!

    1000 hours+!!!

     
    At 3/28/2006 6:05 PM, Blogger Soxfan said...

    I feel your pain...every Electrical Engineering class I've taken has been PP. So most days I'm in class for around 3 hours, then probably another 4 spent in the lab huddled over a computer doing simulations of various antennas for my senior project.

     
    At 3/28/2006 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hang in there, bud. You are learning a lot and it will be over soon.

     
    At 3/29/2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Bridget said...

    8 hours of powerpoint! Brutal....it will all be worht it soon though right, Take care Jake:)

     
    At 3/29/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    Airforcewife- where do you come up with this stuff- "Powerpoint Ranger" patch... LOL

    Jon- ah yes, college. at least there is a google of available young ladies around to mingle with. enjoy it while you can, because Fayetteville is a black hole. my personal rule is no dating anyone within an 80 mile radius.

    anonymous- come on man- who are you?

    bridget- it will indeed

    emm- where is your blog? heard from Parker lately?

     
    At 3/29/2006 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "anonymous- come on man- who are you?"

    Just an anonymous fan of your blog who thinks you are awesome!

     
    At 3/29/2006 10:56 PM, Blogger Soxfan said...

    Yeah about the ladies... I go to an engineering college with oh...around 20% of the population is female and 90% of those I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole... but thats just me

     
    At 3/30/2006 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You have my sympathy. I've been in work environments where people actually think Power Point is the greatest invention since...I don't know, maybe the word "synergy." The rest of us would rather gouge our eyes out but sometimes you just have to keep your eyes on the prize. Hang in there.

     
    At 4/04/2006 12:18 AM, Blogger Snakeeater said...

    I detest Powerpoint with every fiber of my being. I can't begin to tell you how I boil inside while some moron flashes "bullet points" on a wall and then reads them to me.

    Just reading your post is giving me chest pains.

    But you might enjoy this page: http://www.nbc-links.com/powerpoint.html

    I also have an actual PowerPoint presentation done to the PowerPoint Ranger thing. If I ever figure out how to post it, I will.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home