• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Tuesday, August 09, 2005

    The Beach Beckoned... And I Ran To Her

    Ah yes... sand between my toes, a good book, a crisp breeze, the roar of waves chasing the shore as time crawls at a mere half-step, while I sip on my Sweet Mexican Nectar (Corona w/ Lime).

    I haven't been to the beach since Italy in the summer of 2003. Now I know for some of you that's not a big deal, but for a fella that grew up three blocks from the shore, it's a tragedy. So, luckily, a couple of old friends called me up early last week, and invited me to come to one of North Carolina's fine barrier islands, Emerald Isle, thus ridding me of my miniature curse. It was a much needed weekend to say the least.

    Some things I took notice of during my getaway...

    1) North Carolina really is a great state. Living in an arm-pit, oops, I mean Army-town like Fayetteville blinds one to this fact. I would compare this little illusion to a stunningly beautiful woman with a "beauty" mark, a small but necessary flaw, which if dwelled upon (a mole, freckles, whatever it may be) would render one kind of feeling gross all over at how something like that could actually manifest itself on a human body. Fayetteville is North Carolina's beauty mark. So, it's good to see the rest of this gorgeous piece of American real estate and appreciate the big picture. I live in a supermodel state!

    2) Time goes by really really slow on the beach. I got up early, took a run, showered, ate some bacon and eggs, and then sat on the beach for what seemed like 24 hours straight. When I was ready to go in, it was only like 3 o' clock. So I thought to myself, eh, I'll stay out a little longer. I then proceeded to get in the water and perform some rad maneuvers in the surf (only without a board) which was highly entertaining to my friends. I think body surfing will make it to the X- games one day. After this, I had a Sweet Mexican Nectar with a ham and cheese sandwich, and some Sour Cream and onion pringles followed by half a cantaloupe. Still more time. I then turned a few pages in my Backpacker magazine, and fell asleep. When I woke, my head was tilted to one side with druel trapezeing out of my mouth, while my umbrella was apparently playing "let's be a sage brush" tumbling over all the little kids' sand castles, and my once entertained friends apparently thought the show was over, and were nowhere to be found. It was still daylight, and there was lots of it, which was proven by my now Pocahontas-like skin. This was all before sunset, and it only got better that evening.

    3) This was the first time I had seen the Atlantic Ocean from the U.S. (previously I had seen it from Senegal, Africa)

    4) Apparently the metrosexuals now dictate swimwear as well. The only swim trunks available these days are either speedos, or those surfer ones- you know, the long ones with all the neon or pastel colors, and flowers. Apparently only metro-sexuals go to the beach, or I really am getting old.

    5) I have got to buy a kayak soon.

    6 Comments:

    At 8/10/2005 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ricky, I like reading your blog. *lol* If you wrote an entry every evening, I'd enjoy a little laugh before I start my workday. Thanks! Christina

     
    At 8/10/2005 11:22 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    I am happy to entertain you Christina. May the blog-gods give me more time to write and inspiration to write about something intereting.

     
    At 8/10/2005 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ricky,

    I've been keeping up with you although I may not comment everyday! :)

    You are so great with your words and stories; such a natural. You should consider writing a book titled "The Chronicles of Jake". Just fill it with all these little stories, and talk about your training. I think a lot of men could relate; especially military, but even the younger generation... who knows it may be a classic someday :)

     
    At 8/10/2005 4:02 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

    Glad you had a great weekend, and got to soak in some sun! Everyone needs to relax like that!

     
    At 8/16/2005 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If Fayetteville is an armpit, what is Jacksonville?

     
    At 8/16/2005 7:40 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    Jacksonville is the crust between ones toes after a long ruck march...

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home