• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Wednesday, July 13, 2005

    Stick it to me

    Yeah- we just began the trauma portion of the course, and part of our training includes how to do IV's. We are averaging about two to three sticks a day right now, and all of these sticks come from someone who has never done IV's before, so one can imagine what my arms look like right now (like a heroin addict).
    We are not allowed to use the antecubital vein (the main one in the joint of the arm). The cadre say we'll start sticking legs, feet, and hands due to the fact that we are running out of good veins to hit. I have a funny feeling that's going to be a little uncomfortable. All this to say- I hate needles! I haven't gotten an IV in someone else successfully yet, but that should all change today or tomorrow, as I'm getting better.

    That's all for now- more on some training later.

    3 Comments:

    At 7/13/2005 11:35 AM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

    Hello, I also just happened to come across your blog by "Next Blog"-ing. Good luck with the IV's, when I was in college to be a medical assistant, I had the best veins ever, and my classmates used my arms all the time...I now have the worst veins ever, and HATE NEEDLES...but I could get a vein - first stick every time! You'll get there! Good Luck!

     
    At 7/13/2005 6:03 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    Come on... Marines aren't so bad! ;-)

     
    At 7/14/2005 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ooooh, OK, I've often thought that various components of my personality -- the need for order, the ability to follow directions to a T, intelligence, etc. -- would suit me well for military service, but anything having to do with needles, blood, broken bones and the like would make me faint on the spot. Ack! Good luck with the IVs ...... (ew, ew, ew ... )

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home