• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Friday, December 16, 2005

    Spinal Tap

    Just got off my first ER shift, and all I can say is... Holy blood draws! I lost count of the IV's and blood draws I did. It was a fairly slow night in the ER so we were pretty much just helping out the Nurses with IV's, and doing physical assessments with the Docs. There was only one trauma patient tonight who came in with 3 GSW, (gun shot wounds), one in the lower back, one in the right bicep, and one right above the knee which went straight through his femur causing obvious deformity- his leg was at a right angle when he came in. I was hoping to get a chest tube, but it wasn't necessary as the lower back wound didn't penetrate the pleural cavity. The highlight of my evening came when one of my patients presented with a stiff neck. She had no fever so I figured it was probably simple musculoskeletal aches and pains, but the Doc wanted to be absolutely sure it wasn't meninigitis, so he called for a lumbar puncture in order to see her cerebral spinal fluid. Guess who got to perform the procedure- moi. I located the iliac crest, found my plumb line for L4 (lumber 4) and inserted this huge needle/catheter into this lady's lower spinal column, and retrieved some spinal fluid. Once it started dripping out of the catheter, I could tell it was normal, it looked like water. It was so cool! Doc Rob was impressed with my confidence and aggressiveness, as most interns trying that for the first time are pretty scared. As a matter of fact, the young intern assigned tonight was making fun of me b/c I was having trouble with some of my IV's, but had no problem with a lumbar puncture. She claims to still get quite nervous with those. Oh, I love medicine! So, there is my first day in the ER. More soon.

    9 Comments:

    At 12/16/2005 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great job, Jake. You have lots of talent. But maybe that gal did not really need a spinal tap? Know it was not your call, though.

     
    At 12/16/2005 11:19 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    I do agree, but I'm no M.D. However, to be fair to the doctor, earlier there was a 26 yo male who came in with weakness and nausea, no pain whatsoever. The patient was admitted and started feeling better upon arrival, but Doctor Rob ordered a CT scan just to be safe. Turns out the patient had a ruptured appendix! He never suspected it, and would have missed it. Based on that, later Rob specifically said she's probably okay, but let's take every precaution to rule it out.

     
    At 12/16/2005 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Is it wrong that in my head I now have the theme music from ER?

    Congrats though. Sounds like you got through the first night just fine!!

    Beth

     
    At 12/16/2005 2:54 PM, Blogger Fastest Squirrel said...

    Dude, how much longer are you there? I may be down your way and hoist one with ya! Email me dude.

     
    At 12/17/2005 3:24 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    Beth-

    No it's not wrong, it's simply my fairy dust working its magic on you ;-). Thanks for the kind words. First time visitor?

     
    At 12/17/2005 3:25 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    Squirrel-

    Email on the way

     
    At 12/17/2005 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes I am, although I completely forgot how I found you. A link from another blog, but no idea whos it was!

    I'll be checking back regularly :0)

     
    At 12/21/2005 9:01 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

    You sound like you are doing awesome - Showing confidence is key in the medical field - if you think you can do it - you can and will - Spinal taps are painful - but at least the doctor wanted to rule out everything - sometimes around here I feel like they aren't checking out everything.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

     
    At 1/16/2009 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Nice Blog . I don't really know a lot about cardiovascular system information or art, but that's just my 2 cents. Really great job though, Krudman! Keep up the good work!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home