• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

    Thursday, December 15, 2005

    The End of the Ambulance Runs

    24 hour shifts every other day... I am exhausted to say the least. It was snowing again this morning so I eagerly went out for a walk and then some coffee and a good book at Starbucks. Gingerbread latte- delicious. It gave me that nostalgic feeling of Christmas which I just haven't had time to enjoy yet. We have been ridiculously busy, and it has taken its toll, but it has come to an end at last. Now we'll go to the Virginia Commonwealth University hospital for clinical rotations, ER is first. The schedule will be 12 hour shifts Mon-Sat, half graveyard shift and the other half day shift. I am looking forward to a change of pace. The ambulance shifts were great, but there were a lot more BS calls than actual emergencies, which was disappointing. It amazes me how some folks will just totally waste taxpayer's money, and valuable resources on such petty nonsense. I won't go into it, as it frustrates me. Overall, it was a good training experience, I learned a lot from these awesome firemen/paramedics here in Richmond. Coming to a scene and being able to take charge was probably the most important aspect I learned. Crazy stuff happens out there, and it was great to be ready for anything, and respond to chaos. I love chaos. I'll depart after this weekend temporarily for Christmas leave and come back on the 4ht of the new year. Still not sure where I'll be for Christmas as most of my family no longer has a house, but I think my cousin may come through for us, we'll see. My dad is still cleaning up and just beginning to rebuild in Waveland, MS. Sorry it's been so long once again since I last posted, but sometimes work is just too overwhelming.

    5 Comments:

    At 12/15/2005 10:45 PM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

    Good luck in your next rotation - am sure you will do great. My BIL is a paramedic - and he says alot of their calls are BS - total waste of time/and money. Taking a control of choas is a good thing to learn... once you have that - you can get people to do whatever you need them to.

     
    At 12/15/2005 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Jake. We love hearing about your training experiences.

     
    At 12/16/2005 4:49 AM, Blogger Jake said...

    Momma of 2-
    Thank you.

    Anonymous-
    Merry Christmas to you. And thank you for reading my humble blog my friend.

     
    At 12/17/2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Merry Christmas and keep up the medical posts, they're great reads.

     
    At 12/17/2005 2:22 PM, Blogger Jake said...

    pamela-

    Merry Christmas to you too, and thanks for dropping by.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home